Here is the list of top 7 California tech companies (excluding defence/bio tech and unlisted companies like Uber etc as well as Tesla’s )
Collectively they hold $500Billion in cash!! Yes its right Billions (500,000,000,000)
- Apple (AAPL): $226 Billion
2. Google (GOOG): $85 Billion
3. Cisco (CSCO): $75 Billion
4. Oracle (ORCL): $57 billion
5. Facebook (FB) : $22 Billion
6. Qualcomm (QCOM): 20 Billion
7. HP (HPQ): 15 Billion
Just these companies added together make it to the top 20 list of countries by GDP!!
Did Steve wanted the whole society to be addicted to seeing the handset 24X7?
People see their iPhones more than 270 times per day!!
Will this addiction ever reduce? Only time will tell.
2 months back on Jan 20th , I wrote that Markets will recover
My logic was 3 things will happen.
- China issues will be solved by their market regulator. They brought in a new administrator. Problem postponed:-)
- Oil prices – I had written “Its a supply side problem. It will get resolved, and should reach around $35-$40 by the end of the year”. Oil is back to $40.
- Fed & interest rates – Fed did NOT increase the interest rate.
So, markets are back., The recovery is on for some time. Will it last through the year is a big question..I hope so!!
For the last few months I am developing a framework, which I call ‘APPS’, for corporate executives. Every job and every role, in any company, comes with 4 simple measures. Here are the 4 fundamental questions every professional must ask themselves:
- Am I Accountable for my actions, my project, my company, my team and, above all, myself? (alternatively, at the company level, is the responsibility of a P&L unit really Accountable?)
- Is the work/project/initiative I am working on, giving Predictable results, which can be measured, and used for improvement? (at the company level, is the revenue/ expense of a P&L unit really Accountable?)
- If you work in a for profit environment, almost all actions should lead to Profitability. Whether one is a CEO or the junior-most person, one must directly contribute to the bottomline of the company. The more you contribute the more invaluable you will be to the company and to yourself. Are you adding to the profitability?
- Anyone who wants to have a decent career should make sure they deliver consistently to an organization. Then the question one must ask is this – Is your role/ function/ action Sustainable? In a VUCA (volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous) world, when everything is at stake, is your role/ team/ company sustainable?
If you/team/company embrace the APPS framework, then there is a high degree of success. And that is the secret of survival in the new “new” economy. That’s the reason these 4 words have “ability” at the end of them
The year is just beginning … Markets are down almost 10%!
Reasons given are:
- China issues
- Oil prices
- Fed & interest rates
- China – We never know what the real problem or real solution is. I am fairly confident that they will get around this problem soon. They will ‘kick the can’ for a few more years. Expect a stimulus package just before the Chinese new year.
- Oil – No one has reduced consumption. Its a supply side problem. It will get resolved, and should reach around $35-$40 by the end of the year.
- US Fed & interest rate – I heard Bridgewater CEO use the word “QE-Infinity”. Fed has no choice but to ease the money flow. So there will be more money again.
So we will be back with a small bull run again in a couple of months. The only change is that, this time, growth will be driven by US and India/China and a few other countries except Europe.
2 Billion more people are joining the global market. They want better cars, homes, smart phones, TVs, entertainment, electricity etc..
I believe Peter Diamandis’ theory of “Abundance”.
So relax, we will be back in the growth mode again.
I had written an earlier blog in 2012 about how future will look like in 2015. (http://giridevanur.com/innovation/tech-predictions-for-2015)
I got some accurately right and some wrong!
Now am sticking out my top 10 predictions for 2020.
- Self driving cars will still not be a reality.
- Amazon Drones will not deliver your gifts for sure.
- Desktop computers will still be around. Microsoft surface will be a winner.
- Apple would have succeeded in phone8. They would have sold more than 1 billion iphones.
- Google will still be the king of search. So will the facebook as social media giant with 2Billion users.
- Chinese handset makes Xiaomi will have replaced Samsung as the largest smartphone manufacturer.
- There will be no real internet of things. One would still goto a store to pick tooth brush etc.
- VR goggles of various companies will be a big hit. 100s of millions will be sold by 2020.
- Cellphones with 100GB download speeds would have arrived.
- Cloud technologies would have displaced traditional technology players.
Its going to be interesting 5 years, with another 3-4Billion people coming on to internet.
Lets wait and watch!!
Wish you a very happy new year!!
I had suggested an idea for a startup in Feb 2015 : (http://giridevanur.com/innovation/2-ideas-new-startups)
Today I got an email from a startup http://barracuda.co/#features
They have added the ideas from my start up idea #1.
I am very happy that this idea is coming out as a product!!
This is so cool. Kudos to Nasa for promoting truly “open source”!!